Monday, May 24, 2010

Spirit Bound

Another week, another book. 

3/5 Books (Stars Don't Seem Right)

I completed Richelle Mead's Spirit Bound a couple of days ago, which released on May 18th.  It is the fifth book in the Vampire Academy series.  I want to begin by stating that I am a little torn by my own rating of this book.  It really was great.  However, compared to the suspense built throughout the series this one lacked a little of the usual luster. 

For example, in book 4, Blood Promise, we went through this gut wrenching journey with Rose as she hunted down her one true love to destroy after he was unwilling turned evil.  It was truly his desire to be killed than 'live' such a horrendous life.  We are also introduced to Rose's father, a handy person to know regardless of his sketchy lifestyle.  Book 4 made me cry almost from start to end.  When I look at Spirit Bound, it moved the story of Rose and her friends forward, it was entertaining to read, and even ended with an awesome set up for the next book.  It simply did not have the wow factor that I have come to expect from this series.  I had been anticipating this title since completing Blood Promise, and after reading it was left going, "Hmmmm." 

I particularly enjoyed the change we are seeing in Rose's character as she matures.  She is still overly quick to jump into situations many would think crazy and even a bit reckless.  She is beginning to realize, though, that she has endured more than most her age.  Her experiences have forced her to grow and try to do the right thing for others, even when those actions are not her first choice.

I do not mean to hinder anyone from reading it.  I love the series!  It's just hard to top the many climactic events Rose has endured in earlier books.

No comments:

Post a Comment