Thursday, July 8, 2010

Wake...Fade...Gone

5/5 Books (As Always, Stars Don't Seem Right)

In the last few weeks I've managed to read about ten books. When things get hectic, I bury my head in book just to slow back down. (Sometimes I go a bit overboard once I have started. Like yesterday, in which I read this entire trilogy.) I read Wake and Fade quite a while back, but somehow managed to overlook Gone when it released. Slapping myself in the forehead while at the bookstore when I realized it had been out since February of this year, I came home knowing I had to read it.

Lisa McMann's Wake trilogy, in general, is the coming of age story for a poor city girl trying to figure her life out. Like most things I read, it has a definite paranormal twist to it. Janie, the main character, is a dream-catcher. Since the age of eight, she has been shockingly thrown into others' dreams. This 'ability' is destroying her body and sometimes her ability to make rationale decisions. Through a series of book worthy events, Janie is partnered up with her boyfriend to work as a narc for the local police.

However, the wake trilogy is not your typical teen light read. McMann does a fantastic job exploring some of the more difficult aspects teens today are faced with, and I am not necessarily referring to drugs and sex (though these issues are there, too). The main character is forced to parent her own mother, who lives in her own drunken stupor. Janie is degraded and blamed for everything wrong in the world any time her mother bothers to leave her bedroom, which is normally just to get another drink.

I would recommend these book to anyone. I feel that, while the story may be completely paranormal fiction, a voice of truth pores from the pages. Life is hard sometimes, and tough decisions must be made.

2 comments:

  1. Speaking of books that we've overlooked, did you know that the eighth book in the Morganville Vampires came out in April?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was another of those I've read in the last week. I'll try to get a post up of it, because I love the MV books!

    ReplyDelete